How we made it in Africa, established by Jaco Maritz in April 2010, is aimed at African business people as well as foreign investors with an interest in the continent. How we made it in Africa is published by Maritz Publishing CC (Trading as Maritz Africa) (Reg: 1986/ 016729/23), a Cape Town-based information and business intelligence company.
Since its launch, How we made it in Africa has grown into one of the world’s top African-focused online business publications. During the past 12 months, over 1,000,000 individuals visited the website, viewing in excess of 2,400,000 pages.
Awards and achievements
In 2011, How we made it in Africa was one of the three shortlisted publications, together with The Africa Report and Reuters, in the Media of the Year category of the Diageo Africa Business Reporting Awards. In November 2013, How we made it in Africa also won a Bronze Award in the Specialist Publisher category of The Bookmarks awards. The awards recognise and reward excellence in digital media and publishing in South Africa.
Jaco Maritz speaking engagements:
- [Upcoming] October 2018: African Chemicals Imbizo
- June 2016: Africa Oil & Power 2016
Moderator: The Power Panel
- March 2016: Africa’s Womenpreneurs: What’s Next? (online discussion organised by Djembe Communications)
- November 2015: HEC Paris Africa Club (via Skype)
- August 2015: Architecture + Interior Design Africa (Johannesburg)
Topic: Property development trends in sub-Saharan Africa
- June 2014: University of Cambridge Judge Business School 2014 Business in Africa Conference (United Kingdom)
Topics: ‘Entrepreneurship & Innovation’ and ‘Arts, Culture & Media’
- November 2013: African Leadership Academy – Guest Speaker Series (Johannesburg)
Topic: Sharing the journey of How we made it in Africa
- February 2013: From Subsistence to Commercial Agribusiness: The challenge of Africa conference (Cape Town)
Topic: ‘Six companies investing in African agribusiness, and what we can learn from them’
- May 2011: China-SADC Investment Forum (Johannesburg)
Topic: ‘Lessons learnt from those who have made it in Africa’
We have extensive experience working with some of the biggest companies operating in the continent today. Below are a selection of our advertisers and clients: