For those interested in doing business in Angola, a visit to the country is highly recommended as personal relations are crucial. The Netherlands Embassy in Luanda has published the following points of advice:
- Agreements are normally only made once a personal relationship is established; therefore take time to socialise during the visit. Because of the importance of this, agreements are often made at a late phase during negotiations.
- Angolans are often relatively formal in the first few meetings. Formal clothing in these occasions is highly appreciated.
- Bureaucracy and corruption have diminished but have not fully disappeared.
- The preferred language is often Portuguese as few people have mastered English. It therefore might be advisable to use Portuguese or hire a translator during a visit or correspondence.
- Have direct communication by phone before sending any (general) emails.